- "If these writings of the Greeks agree with the book of God, they are useless and need not be preserved; if they disagree, they are pernicious and ought to be destroyed."
- Omar (Muslim caliph, conqueror of Syria, Palestine and Egypt c.581-644) on burning the Library of Alexandria, AD c.641, quoted in Edward Gibbon's "The decline and Fall of the Roman Empire."
- "The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."
- P.J. O'Rouke (US author, satirist and journalist. 1947- ) Holidays in Hell, 1989.
- "All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others."
- George Orwell (Enlish novelist and journalist. 1903-50). This slogan appears in Orwell's classic, allegorical satire of the Russian Revolution, Animal Farm.
- "Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past."
- George Orwell , Nineteen Eighty-Four, 1949 .
"Napoleon has commanded that once a week
there should be held something
called a Spontaneous Demonstration."
- George Orwell , Animal Farm.
"The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude."
- George Orwell , Why I Write (essay), 1946.
- "I have very simple taste; I like the best of everything."
- Oshio (Indian spiritualist.)
To read more curious quotations, please select a letter from the alphabet below.