- "Acting provides the fulfillment
of never being fulfilled."
- Glenda Jackson (English actress and politician. 1936– )
- "The whole essence of learning lines
is to forget them so you can make them sound
like you thought of them that instant."
- Glenda Jackson
- "There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it."
- William James (US philosopher and psychologist. 1842–1910), The Varieties of Religious Experience: A Study in Human Nature (1902).
- To endure the unendurable is true endurance.
- Japanese proverb
- "It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do."
- Jerome K. Jerome (English humourist and playwright, 1859–1927)
- "The joke in Westminster was Theresa May can't even beat Jeremy Corbyn. Jeremy Corbyn can't even beat Theresa May."
- Alan Johnson (British politican. 1950–) BBC This Week, 28 September 2018
- "My policy on cake is that I'm pro having it and pro eating it."
- Boris Johnson (British politican. 1964–).
- "You might as well praise a man for not robbing a bank."
- Bobby Jones (US amateur golfer. 1902–71) After calling a penatly on himself which cost him the 1925 US Open.
- Dolph to Nelson: "Oh man, you kissed a girl?
Jimbo: "That is so gay."
- Jimbo Jones From The Simpsons, the cartoon creation of Matt Groening.
- "He who praises everybody, praises nobody."
- Samuel Johnson (English poet, critic and lexicogrpher. 1709–84) Johnson's Works (1787), vol. XI.
- "Read over your compositions, and wherever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out."
- Samuel Johnson Recalling "what an old tutor of a college said to one of his pupils", from The Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell.
- "Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise."
- Samuel Johnson William Cooke, 'Life of Samuel Foote' (1805) vol 2.
- "It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water."
- Franklin P. Jones
- "It's a funny old world - a man's lucky if he gets out of it alive."
- Paul M. Jones and Walter de Leon Spoken by W.C. Fields in the film 'You're Telling Me' (1934).
- "The trouble is,
if you don't risk anything,
you risk even more."
- Erica Mann Jong (American novelist and poet. 1942– ) writing in 'How To Save Your Own Life' (1977).
- "The true leader is always led."
- Carl Jung (Swiss psychiatrist. 1875–1961)
- "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
- Carl Jung, Memories, Dreams, Reflections, 1963.
- "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
(But who will guard the gaurds?)
- Juvenal (Roman Satiric poet. 60–130 AD)
To read more curious quotations, please select a letter from the alphabet below.